Chesnutt Study Questions
“The Passing of Grandison,” 1266-77.
A. Describe the main character.
B. Describe the minor characters.
C. Explain the importance of the setting.
D. Analyze the story
1. Does Charity Lomax differ from Editha and how?
2. How does George compare to Dick Owens?
3. What is wrong with Dick’s helping one of his father’s slaves run away?
4. What is shallow about Charity?
5. Why can’t the slaves’ replies to questions be trusted?
6. How can you tell that Chesnutt is being sarcastic?
7. When is it apparent that Grandison is tricking the Owens?
8. Why is the surprise ending necessary?
9. What do we learn about humanity?Return to syllabus.